Monday, April 15, 2013

How to Use Button Cell Battery Safely?

Energizer and Safe Kids USA established a safety partnership to address this growing child safety hazard – though we need to note that injuries also are sustained by adults. They launched an effort called The Battery Controlled, committed to raising awareness of this issue and sharing information with parents to help prevent injuries. They place the burden on you to prevent this product from injuring your family. This includes:

1. Keep out of Reach 2. Get help Fast 3. Tell Others

According to studies, the major sources of ingested button cell battery for children under 6 years of age are: 1. Directly from the product-61.8% 2. Loose or sitting out-29.8% 3. Battery packaging-8.2% 4. Hearing aid containing battery-0.2%

button cell battery

Based on my discussions with subject matter experts at the recent Annual Meeting and Training Symposium of ICPHSO (International Consumer Product Health and Safety Organization), ingestion is only one of the ways that these coin cell batteries do harm. They are also inserted in ears, nose and eye cavities. Additionally, a significant number of adults, especially the elderly, are treated for ingestion or insertion injuries. Adults may be cognitively disabled, yet other possibilities also include scenarios in which the elderly are changing the batteries in their hearing aids–placing the new one in their mouth while removing the old (or vice versa) and then unintentionally swallowing the battery cell for any one of several reasons, such as sneezing, forgetting about the battery, etc.

Adults may be able to get treatment very fast, if they are aware of the hazard associated with lithium button cell and seek medical treatment immediately. Yet, they need to be informed of the hazard too, as it may be counter-intuitive to know that such a small, round, old (seemingly discharged) metal hearing aid battery can do material physical harm. Obviously, children and cognitively disabled adults are at far greater risk. Even if they are old enough to communicate, they may not inform a parent or caregiver of the ingestion, nor tie together the symptoms they later experience with the ingestion. is a professional dry battery, especially alkaline battery manufacturer in China. Chung Pak was found in 1980. Its head office is based in Hongkong, with one battery products manufacturing factory located in Shunde, Guangdong, Mainland China, employing a total of approximately 1,800 professionals of battery products. Started as being a battery manufacturer, Chung Pak has now developed to have diversified of paper separator, zinc products, metal plastic parts and tools manufacturing in addition to the core battery products manufacturing business.

For more information about battery charger visit our website.

1 comment:

  1. 1> Don’t insert or change batteries in front of small children. Their curiosity is only heightened when they see their parents using button cells.

    2>Even if you’re remotely suspicious your child has swallowed a battery, get to an emergency room right away.