Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Button Cell Battery

There is a useful product in your home that can be very, very dangerous to children, and some adults, if it is ingested or inserted into an eye, nose or ear. Indeed, you may have dozens of this product in your home — in use, in storage or sitting in the grocery bag you just placed on the floor in your kitchen, waiting to be emptied. It is a button cell battery. Even though this safety hazard has appeared from time to time on TV or YouTube or in a parent’s magazine, it has been hard to get the word out. I’m asking you to help ensure that everyone learns about the hazard and protects their families.

If you have small children, or adults in your home that need supervision, such as people with autism or dementia, or if they just visit, you need to take steps now to protect them from injuries related to coin cell batteries. Got grandchildren? This post is for you, too. Here’s an example of the product on the store shelf (although they are sold in various sizes and power) and what they look like after they have been ingested:Some smaller, and seemingly innocuous, the coin cell batteries supply power and are usually tucked away in countless electronic products, such as mini remote controls, hearing aids, calculators, watches, car key fobs, bathroom scales, flameless candles and singing greeting cards.

button cell battery

In the U.S., it is like an epidemic. 40,000 cases of children ingesting small batteries were documented between 1997 and 2010. 14 of these resulted in death. The number of cases resulting in serious injury or death has more than quadrupled in the past five years and will continue to increase at an alarming rate as more electronics integrate coin cell batteries into their design.

When these coin cell batteries (sometimes referred to as button cell batteries) are swallowed, the resulting injuries can be severe enough to cause lifelong injuries or death. These are not just little metal coins that may be pooped out like a shiny new dime. They can and do get stuck. They are electrical and remain so even when they are ready to be replaced in your remote control. A life threatening process starts the moment the battery cell interacts with saliva or other mucous membranes. An electrical current forms around the outside of the battery, generating an alkaline hydroxide that eats through mucous membranes — FAST.

On average, through 2010, one battery-related emergency room visit occurred every 2.66 hours in the U.S. Unfortunately, symptoms of a carbon zinc batteries ingestion are not unique and may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling and discomfort. This only complicates the matter, leading to greater injuries. A single 3V lithium battery can cause severe esophageal burns within 2 hours and eat a hole completely through the throat within 4 hours. So, real and permanent damage may result before the parent or caregiver has even decided to go to the emergency room., specialized in dry cell battery manufacturing, Chung Pak was found in 1980. Its head office is based in Hongkong, with one battery products manufacturing factory located in Shunde, Guangdong, Mainland China, employing a total of approximately 1,800 professionals of battery products. Started as being a battery manufacturer, Chung Pak has now developed to have diversified of paper separator, zinc products, metal plastic parts and tools manufacturing in addition to the core battery products manufacturing business.

For more information about battery charger visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment